Ɂehdzo Got’ı̨nę Gots’ę́ Nákedı
Sahtú Renewable Resources Board

Research in the Sahtú Region 

Governance and Licensing

To conduct research in the Northwest Territories researchers need at least one of the following three research licenses. Wildlife Research Permit, Archaeologists Permit and/or Scientific Research License.

Researchers are advised to submit licensing applications at least 3 months prior to the planned start date of fieldwork.

Research Guidelines and Ethical Protocols

Wildlife Research Permit

Under the Wildlife Act (section 24), a valid wildlife research permit is required to study wildlife or wildlife habitat in the Northwest Territories (NWT). It is an offence to conduct a survey or census of wildlife or wildlife behaviour, administer drugs, collect or purchase specimens or carry out any scientific research relating to wildlife without a permit. 

Under the NWT Wildlife Act, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) is responsible for issuing wildlife research permits. 

Aurora Research License

All research conducted in the Northwest Territories must be licensed. Information on the research project is shared with other scientists and northern residents. Summaries of the research conducted each year are distributed to media, community organizations and other researchers. In addition, research information is added to existing and developing scientific databases.

An ethical protocol must be submitted for review if the research involves people. University researchers can submit ethical protocols that have been approved through their institutions. Before an Aurora Research Institute Scientific Research Licence is issued, the researcher must consult with, and gain support from the appropriate governing bodies. For research into social, cultural or economic aspects, or the testing of people contact the Métis Local and/or Band Council. Research involving land, water or wildlife requires support from the local Renewable Resources Councils and the Sahtú Renewable Resource Board. Any research within the municipal limits requires support from the Municipal Council(s).

For more information contact:

Scientific Services Manager
PO Box 1450
Inuvik, NT
X0E 0T0
Phone: (867) 777-3298
Fax: (867) 777-4264
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cumulative Impact Monitoring

“The north provides a unique and important space for doing research and/or environmental monitoring projects. However, along with the great interest in doing research in the north comes a great responsibility - the responsibility to respect the lands and communities, to acknowledge and respect the local knowledge systems, to consult and communicate effectively with local stakeholders and the responsibility to do good, ethical work.

“The Cumulative Impacts Monitoring Program and the Aurora Research Institute, with support from the Walter and Duncan Gordon Foundation, have developed a document for researchers that will assist in navigating the complexities of northern research and monitoring projects. The recommendations contained in the document were collected from workshops and interviews held with dozens of monitoring and research experts - from government, regulatory agencies, communities, and academia - who work in the NWT. It is strongly recommended that researchers review this document.

“This document can be used at any stage in the research process, but is most effective if researchers use it to plan their projects from the outset. Implementation of these steps during the project design phase will lead to more effective use of time, resources and increased interest from the community.”